What Happens at Your First Consultation with a Plastic Surgeon?
A formal consultation with Dr Gittos is an essential first step before any surgical procedure can be organised. The first consultation can be done virtually (online consultation) or in-person at the clinic.
Do I need a GP Referral?
Your GP or doctor may have referred you to see Dr. Gittos. Please bring your referral if you have one along with any relevant X-rays or test results if you have them. A referral is however NOT necessary for a surgery consult with Dr. Gittos.
Who Should I Bring to the Consultation?
We strongly recommended you bring a supportive friend or relative along to your consultation to help you think about all the information and discuss your surgical options. If possible, leave the kids with a friend or family member.
During Your Consultation
At the consultation, Dr. Gittos will collect a thorough history of your medical health and background, including past health, medications, and operations. He will then get a clear understanding of what you are hoping to achieve and your expectations from surgery. Dr. Gittos will also undertake a detailed physical examination to assess your clinical situation and suitability for surgery.
Dr. Gittos will accurately explain your suitability for surgery and the process involved. You will be taken through a detailed explanation of the benefits as well as possible complications and risks of surgery. While this is not meant to scare or alarm you, it is essential and part of Dr. Gittos’ duty of care to you. Be very wary of any practitioner who has not outlined similar risks and complications of surgery.
What can I expect at my Initial Consultation with my Surgeon?
At your initial appointment with your surgeon you will typically:
- Spend quality time with your surgeon and nurse/patient coordinator
- Have your photos taken
- Have a physical examination by the surgeon
- See photos of past patient results
- Find out more about your recommended surgical options
- Receive detailed information about your surgery
- Go through the possible complications and risks of surgery
- Consider sizing options (for some procedures)
- Find out about surgery pricing and available dates
- Ask any other questions you may have
- Please allow up to 1.5 hours for your initial appointment
It is very important to establish a strong relationship with your surgeon prior to any surgery. You will spend time with both your surgeon and patient care coordinator/nurse at your first consultation appointment.
After Your Consultation
Following your consultation, you will feel that you have a good understanding of the procedure and its likely benefits and potential outcomes along with its possible risks. This will enable you to make an informed decision as to whether you would like to proceed with the surgery.
Surgical Quote and Procedure Costs
A detailed estimate of costs will be prepared for you following consultation and can usually be given to you on the day. This will cover the surgeons fee and estimates for the hospital/theatre and any other costs.
Your Consultation Fee
The consultation fee for your appointment with Dr. Gittos is $200 for a online/virtual consultation or $300 for an in-person consultation. The consultation fee is typically paid at the time of booking the appointment, by credit card.
Book your Initial Surgery Consultation
- Email us or Call on 09 529 5352 to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment.
- A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral
- Book a consultation with your Surgeon by paying the Consultation Fee ($200-$300)
What to Bring to your Plastic Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
- Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
- Organise a phone call with Patient Care Advisor (FREE)
- Organise an Online or Skype call consultation with a Surgeon
- Speak with a past patient that has had the procedure – contact us
Browse our Frequently Asked Questions including how to choose a Surgeon for your procedure
Please contact us using this form to arrange to book a consultation with our Specialist Plastic Surgeon or to speak with our Patient Care Advisor.