Dr Mark Gittos FRACS(Plast) – Specialist Plastic Surgeon in New Zealand and UK
Dr Mark Gittos is a leading Cosmetic Plastic Surgeon based in Auckland, New Zealand. He is also widely recognised in the UK and Europe as a leading specialist in the field of Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery for Women.
Dr Mark Gittos is one of Auckland’s most sought after Plastic Surgeons for natural-looking surgical outcomes and advanced techniques for women’s breast, body and facial surgery.
He has a strong research and training background in breast reconstruction and extensive experience in cosmetic plastic surgery of the breasts.
Dr Mark Gittos is a pioneer in several methods of Plastic Surgery. Over his years in practice, he has contributed to the growth, education and expertise of other Surgeons working in the field of Plastic, Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery. Dr Mark Gittos many publications and research journal articles are listed here.
Dr Gittos’ Qualifications and Training
MB ChB 1985 Auckland; FRACS (Plast) 1994
Dr Gittos qualified from the Auckland University Medical School in 1984. He completed his plastic surgery training in Australia, New Zealand, the USA, France and the UK.
In 1996 he became a Consultant Plastic Surgeon at The Saint Andrews Centre for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in Essex. He helped to establish the Basildon Breast Unit and pioneer breast reconstruction and mastectomy techniques after breast cancer.
Mark obtained his Plastic Surgery registration in the UK in 1996. On return, his New Zealand re-registration was completed in 2009.
Dr Gittos spends time instructing other surgeons and assisting charities like Interplast perform surgeries in developing countries. He volunteered in 2016 for Interplast, an organisation that provides Plastic Surgery for populations that lack adequate medical and surgical care.
Mark is married with a son and daughter. His interests include reading, motorsport, rugby, running and aviation. He has his Commercial Pilots Licence, a Helicopter Licence and has completed the London Marathon.
Dr Gittos’ Surgical Experience
Dr Mark Gittos has performed over 4,000 breast enlargements in his 26 years as a Specialist Plastic Surgeon and has lectured on and taught breast surgery over the globe in locations including New Zealand, Australia, Sweden and Europe.
As an international Plastic Surgeon, He also practices at The London Breast Clinic where he performs numerous breast enlargement, uplift and reduction operations per year. He performs facial rejuvenation procedures such as mini and full facelift, nose reshaping, upper and lower eyelid surgery, fat transfer, injectables and chemical peels. He also operates regularly on patients with skin cancer, hand injuries, trigger finger and carpal tunnel syndrome.
Some of Dr Gittos’ achievements include:
- Previous Consultant Plastic Surgeon at The Saint Andrews Centre for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in Essex
- Promoted the concept of immediate reconstruction after mastectomy surgery for breast cancer and Developed techniques for the skin-sparing mastectomy after cancer
- Co-taught at the University of Auckland Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences – Advanced Clinical Skills – “Introduction to Local Flaps” Mark Gittos and Earle Brown, convened by Mike Klaassen (June 2013)
- Participated in numerous documentaries with The Discovery Channel.
- Lecturer for Auckland University Surgical Society – AUMSA – http://www.aumsa.org.nz/
- Extensive experience in liposculpture, liposuction, tummy tucks and male breast reduction (gynaecomastia/MOOBS Surgery expert
Dr Gittos’ Commitment to Patients
Dr Gittos is committed to uncompromising personal service and technical excellence in the care of his patients. He will always give you an honest opinion – if a procedure is not right for you, or if your expectations are unrealistic, he will tell you.
He invests considerable time pre-operatively to ensure his patients are well informed on the benefits and risks of surgery and the likely outcome. You will always have at least two consultations before surgery. Above all, he is a doctor first and foremost – my patients’ wellbeing and safety is my priority.
His philosophy is that it is essential to apply trusted cosmetic surgical principles to reconstructive surgery for breast, skin, hand, burns or trauma patients.
In terms of cosmetic surgery, Mr Gittos is well-versed in the latest techniques which he combines with a strong foundation provided by decades of international surgical experience.
Please NOTE: Dr Gittos only performs surgery on non-smoker patients with a BMI less than 30. To check your BMI please visit the NZ Heart Foundation website. For help giving up smoking before surgery visit the Smoke Free website
Do your Research
- Read the Website and Blogs relevant to your procedure
- Browse our Frequently Asked Questions including how to choose a Surgeon for your procedure
- Download and read the FREE Guides to Surgery
What to Bring to your Plastic Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
- Dress in simple clothes as you may need to undress for examination
- Bring your medical referral and any relevant medical documents or test results
Book your Initial Surgery Consultation
- A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral
- Email us or Call on 09 529 5352 to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment.
- Book a consultation with Dr Gittos by paying the Consultation Fee – $325 incl GST
Traveling for Surgery? – Consider post-surgery luxury recovery in a Hotel with LuxeCare
Please contact us to arrange to book a consultation with our Specialist Plastic Surgeon or to speak with our Patient Care Advisor.