Mini Tummy Tuck procedure in Auckland New Zealand
A mini tummy tuck procedure is similar to a full tummy tuck procedure except that it only removes excess skin from the lower abdominal region, right underneath the umbilicus or the belly button. The Mini tummy tuck procedure, also known as partial abdominoplasty, doesn’t always include muscle tightening and repair procedure as it is not always needed. More often than not, the tummy tuck procedure is a skin-only procedure with limited effect on underlying fat, muscles and supporting structures.
A mini tummy tuck procedure is performed with the purpose of re-contouring the little pooch that often develops in the area under the belly button when you undergo weight loss. The procedure flattens and firms the area giving it a smooth, youthful appearance. The results of a mini tummy tuck procedure are visible only in a small part of the abdomen. If you want muscle repair and more definition and contouring of the entire abdominal region then a full tummy tuck may be more suitable.
Am I a good candidate for a mini tummy tuck procedure?
Mini Tummy Tuck Procedure is performed to remove excess skin from the lower abdominal region that may persist after a pregnancy or significant weight loss to give it an overall taut and defined appearance.
A Mini tummy tuck procedure is very often performed as part of a mommy makeover after you have undergone a cesarean section to deliver your baby. During this procedure, the excess skin is removed along with the unflattering cesarean section scar.
You are an ideal candidate for a mini tummy tuck procedure if you;
- Need minimal muscle repair only as extensive muscle repair is not a feature of this procedure.
- Are a nonsmoker
- Are physically healthy and at a stable weight
- Have realistic expectations from the procedure
- Are mentally healthy and doing the procedure for yourself.
- Are bothered by the appearance of the ‘pooch’ on your lower abdomen or by the appearance of your cesarean section scar
- Are not planning any future pregnancies.
If you meet any of the criteria mentioned above, book a consultation now with Dr Gittos to find out more about the partial abdominoplasty procedure.
Benefits of the mini tummy tuck procedure
A mini tummy tuck procedure is an effective, minimally-invasive procedure that can tighten the skin of your lower abdomen and remove the overhanging skin that forms a pooch in the lower abdominal region. It can improve your physical appearance and raise your self-worth and confidence. Hence it has both physical and psychological benefits.
Having this done as part of a mommy makeover along with a breast lift and liposuction can significantly improve your personal and social appearances and relationships. Just because you gave birth and continued the cycle of life doesn’t mean that you don’t deserve to look your best. Book an appointment now to find out more and decide if this is the procedure for you.
Mini Tummy Tuck Procedure and steps
The mini tummy tuck procedure can take anywhere between two hours to three hours in theatre. The procedure can be performed as an outpatient procedure and you will be allowed to go home on the same day, a few hours after the procedure. A Mini tummy tuck procedure may be performed under general anesthesia or local anesthesia with intravenous sedation. If you opt for liposuction along with a mini tummy tuck, your surgeon will perform that first before making the incisions for mini-abdominoplasty.
- Your surgeon will a small incision just above the pubic region or if you have a cesarean scar, the incision will be made a few centimeters below it.
- Unlike the standard and extended tummy tuck procedures, no incision will be made around the umbilicus or the belly button.
- The surgeon will then excise a football-shaped mound of excess skin, which will include your cesarean scar if present.
- Dr Gittos may repair some mild muscle weakness if present. If you need extensive muscle repair, a standard abdominoplasty may be a better choice then.
- Your surgeon may also remove some underlying fat to give it flatter and thinner appearance, however, it is not routinely done.
- After the incision has been made and the excess skin has been excised, your surgeon will close the incision using dissolvable sutures to avoid the hassle of having the stitches removed.
Recovery from Mini tummy tuck
Recover from a mini tummy tuck procedure is similar to the standard tummy tuck procedure and takes up to six weeks. The recovery phase is characterized by mild discomfort and pain along with bruising and swelling. The swelling can often mask the results of the procedure till it subsides eventually.
Dr Gittos may prescribe you pain management medication to help with your symptoms while your body heals from the surgery. To facilitate the healing process, you are also recommended to wear a compression garment, for at least six to eight weeks, which also helps keep the swelling in check. You may want to take a week off from work as it may be uncomfortable and there might be a significant amount of swelling. Also, at least for the first day after the surgery, you should ask a friend or an acquaintance to help you around.
You must absolutely refrain from any sort of strenuous physical activity that can put pressure on the incision and complicate the wound healing process. You must also abstain from smoking to prevent infections and delay in the healing process. Drinking alcohol during the recovery phase is also not recommended, especially when taking pain management medication.
Your mini tummy tuck procedure Journey
This is the first step in your mini tummy tuck procedure journey and a quite important one too. During this stage of your journey, it is very important to be realistic about your expectations from the surgery. If your surgeon knows your goals and expectations, it makes it easier for them to make sure that those goals are achieved.
Your surgeon may perform a physical exam of the abdomen to evaluate the extent of excess skin present. Based on this examination and your candid discussion about what you want, the surgeon may recommend an associated procedure or two to get you the results that you desire.
If you are a smoker, it is at this stage that your surgeon may ask you to quit before going any further with this procedure as you can’t have a mini tummy tuck done if you are a smoker.
The procedure takes up to three hours and is usually performed with general anesthesia or local anesthesia with intravenous (IV) sedation. You will not need to stay in the hospital after the procedure, in fact, you will be discharged a couple of hours after the surgery.
During the procedure, your surgeon will make an incision just above the pubic region to remove excess skin along with cesarean scars, if present. This procedure has a smaller incision and no real requirement for drainage tubes, unlike other types of abdominoplasties. Also, in comparison with other types of tummy tucks, this procedure does not include an incision around the belly button
If needed, your surgeon might do minimal muscle repair during the mini tummy tuck procedure. The surgeon will then close the incision using dissolvable stitches that will be absorbed over time and will not need physical removal.
Recovery after Surgery
The recovery period for all types of abdominoplasties is the same and can take four to seven weeks. You are not allowed to do any physical activities that may put pressure on your lower abdomen or the incisions. You also may want to take some time off from work during the first week to allow yourself to heal.
The recovery period includes swelling, bruising, pain, and mild discomfort for which pain management medications and compression garments will be prescribed. You should wear the compression garments for the entire length of the healing period.
You should not smoke or drink during this period to prevent any complications or delays in the healing process. The recovery period may differ depending on you, which is why it is important to listen to your doctor’s specific instructions and follow them precisely. Visit the page for more recovery tips.
Risks and Complications of a Mini Tummy Tuck
A mini tummy tuck may be a minimally invasive procedure but it is still a surgical procedure, and like other surgical procedures, it has a few risks and complications that may arise during the surgery or the recovery phase.
- Persistent pain
- Excessive swelling and bruising
- Fluid collection, also known as a seroma
- Blood accumulating below the skin (hematoma)
- Loss of sensation or numbness in the region, although it is usually temporary
- Allergic reaction to anesthesia
For more information about risks and complications of Surgery visits the risks page
It is important for you to discuss these risks along with the benefits with your surgeon to be able to make an informed decision. Book a consultation now to speak to Dr Gittos.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the difference between a tummy tuck and a mini tummy tuck?
- A standard tummy tuck or abdominoplasty removes excess skin and underlying fat from the entire abdominal region to give it a taut and firm appearance.
- A mini tummy tuck also referred to as partial or skin-only abdominoplasty removes the excess skin that sags and forms a pouch below the belly button. It only targets the specific region under the belly button in the lower abdomen.
How soon after birth can I have a tummy tuck?
- Depending on the nature of your pregnancy and the number of children you had in a single pregnancy, you can have a mini tummy tuck done three to six months after giving birth.
- If your birthing and pregnancy experience was traumatic or you were pregnant with twins or a larger baby, then waiting up to six months may be recommended to allow your body to heal first.
Does mini tummy tuck tighten split tummy muscles?
While mini tummy tuck procedure may sometimes include minimal muscle tightening and repair, it is not routinely done. In fact, a mini tummy tuck is also called a skin-only tummy tuck since it is mainly focused on removing excess skin only.
Will there be a visible scar after my procedure?
A mini tummy tuck procedure involves a small incision that can be covered easily by the waistband of your underwear. There is no incision around the belly button so, no, there will no visible scarring after the procedure.
When will the results be visible?
The results of the mini tummy tuck procedure may become apparent after six weeks when the body has healed and the swelling has subsided. This swelling covers the results and is present for most of the duration of the recovery phase.
Are the results of a mini tummy tuck procedure permanent?
The results of a mini tummy tuck procedure are permanent unless you get pregnant or undergo massive weight gain which can reverse the procedure.
Associated Surgery – Procedures combined with a Mini Tummy Tuck
Breast Lift or Reduction Surgery
- Breast lift is a medical procedure in which your breast tissue is lifted and tightened to give it a plumper and rounder appearance. It is performed to improve the appearance of saggy breasts, which may occur due to pregnancy, breastfeeding, explant procedure, or aging. The procedure may be done along with a mini tummy tuck after childbirth to give you a mommy makeover and give your body a youthful appearance.
- Liposuction is fat removal and contour enhancing procedure often performed along with abdominoplasties, regardless of the type. It helps remove some stubborn fat that may not go away regardless of how much you try.
Is Mini tummy tuck worth it?
A mini tummy tuck procedure is a surgical procedure that has a very high patient satisfaction rate. It leaves behind a small scar that can be easily covered by the waistband of your underwear and bikini bottoms. The mini tummy tuck procedure also tightens and improves the appearance of your lower abdomen, especially if you suffer from a saggy, skin pooch in the region.
All in all, it is worth it if you have considered all aspects of the procedure and make an informed decision. Book a consultation now to find out more.
Further Reading – medical references
Why choose Dr. Mark Gittos?
Dr. Mark Gittos is a highly skilled and well-trained specialist plastic surgeon who makes his patient’s satisfaction and comfort his first priority. He is a board-certified plastic surgeon with over 20 years of experience under his belt.
He has received his training from Australia, the United States, United Kingdom, France, New Zealand and he is currently based in Auckland helping people achieve their goals for their bodies. He performs surgeries with precision and up-to-date techniques to help minimize risks that may be present with certain procedures.
How to find a Mini Tummy Tuck Surgeon in New Zealand
It is important to research your Surgeon’s qualifications and experience before deciding on your Surgeon. Make sure you feel comfortable with your surgeon and always seek a second opinion.
Why Choose Dr Mark Gittos Plastic Surgeon?
Not all Surgeons have the same experience or intensive training and testing qualifications. Be sure you learn the differences between a Plastic Surgeon, a General Surgeon, Cosmetic Surgeon or other types of Surgeon.
Choosing a Specialist Plastic Surgeon means you are choosing an accredited recognised plastic surgeon that performs surgery in an accredited hospital.