Excess Skin Reduction Surgery after Weight loss & Post-Bariatric Surgery in Auckland New Zealand
Excess skin removal surgery and Loose Skin reduction surgery for post massive weight loss patients for body contouring. These life changing procedures are also known as a Body Lift, Body Upper Body Lift or Lower Body Lift surgeries.
Dr Mark Gittos sees an increasing number of people who have lost a large amount of weight through committed exercise and dietary changes or through Bariatric Weight Loss procedures such as Gastric Sleeve, Gastric Bypass or the fitting of a Gastric Band. Such dramatic weight loss often results in loose, damaged or floppy skin, particularly as the skin has lost its elasticity and the capacity to recover from extensive stretching. Many post weight loss and post-pregnancy patients seek a wide range of excess skin removal and loose skin removal procedures depending on their anatomy.
Post Weight Loss Surgery Options
There is a range of plastic surgery procedures that combat the effects of weight loss in the most commonly affected areas, which include the face, upper arms, back, breasts, abdomen and thighs. Together these excess skin and fat reduction surgeries are often known as body contouring surgery, but should be considered when you have attained your stable ideal weight.
Facial Surgery for post Weight Loss Patients
- Once your goal weight is achieved a Face Lift or Lower Face surgery operation is a very effective way to minimise loose neck skin, cheek jowls and deep folds of skin under the chin.
Armlift & Thigh Surgery for post Weight Loss Patients
- The so called “bat wings” of loose arm skin are removed by an Inner Arm Reduction or Arm lift Surgery
- Excess skin removal of loose skin on the inner thigh is dealt with by the Inner Thigh Lift.
Back lift Surgery for post Weight Loss patients
- Excess skin from your upper back area can be removed with a back lift or bra line lift
Tummy Surgery for post Weight Loss Patients
- Loose tummy skin and sagging tummy muscles are treated by an Abdominoplasty / Tummy Tuck operation.
- Larger amounts of excess skin are treated with an Extended Tummy Tuck, Belt Lipectomy or Circumferential Tummy Tuck
- Excess skin around the middle usually needs a Fleur de Lis Abdominoplasty or a Corset Abdominoplasty
Additional Liposuction for post Weight Loss Patients
- You may choose to have these forms of surgical treatment in conjunction with liposuction, which removes unwanted body fat. You can find out more about liposuction here. This will ensure the very best final result if you do then opt for surgery.
Further Reading & other medical references
- Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery Excess Skin Surgery page
Risks and complications of Excess Skin Reduction Surgeries
All surgery has risks. Combination body lift surgery increases the risks of longer operations for patients who have been obese. Read the risks and complications of general surgery.
Dr Gittos will cover the specific risks and complications of post-bariatric surgery for removal and reduction of excess skin during your consultation as part of your informed consent.