Dermal Fillers for Facial Rejuvation and a Refreshed Look in Auckland New Zealand
What are Dermal Fillers?
Dermal fillers have become one of the most popular tools in the fight against ageing. Today, there are many different kinds of dermal fillers, each with the ability to treat various signs of aging like volume loss, overly thin lips, and fine lines, and wrinkles. Instead of relaxing facial muscles like Botox, dermal fillers work by adding temporary volume under the skin in order to fill wrinkles and plump the skin.
About Dermal Fillers – like Restylane, Perlane & Belotero
Dermal fillers have become one of the most popular tools in the fight against a sagging and ageing face. Today, there are many different kinds of dermal fillers, each with the ability to treat various signs of aging like volume loss, overly thin lips, and fine lines, and wrinkles.
Instead of relaxing facial muscles like Botox or other Neurotoxins, dermal fillers work by adding temporary volume under the skin in order to fill wrinkles and plump the skin.
What are the benefits of using Dermal Fillers?
- Dermal fillers allow great precision in wrinkle correction
- Fillers do not affect your ability to contract your facial muscles
- Natural-looking results – you’ll look great and feel younger
- Fillers are non-permanent and you can try different facial ‘looks’
- Fillers can be used with conjunction anti-wrinkle treatments or laser facial Rejuvenation to provide a complete facial revitalisation and enhancement
- You can take years off the look of your face
- Fillers treat deeper wrinkles that other methods can’t
- Fillers rarely cause adverse reactions
- Fillers can be reversed rapidly using injections that dissolve the filler
- Fillers are an easy non-surgical solution that may delay the need for plastic surgery
Where are Dermal Fillers most commonly used?
- Lips – for volume enhancement and also to treat fine lines around the lips
- Cheeks and nasolabial folds – these aim to reduce the depth of the creases and wrinkles in the area
- Around the eyes – particularly the “tear trough” area
- Nose and chin – subtle reshaping of these areas
- Brow – subtle reshaping and lifting
How do Dermal Filler Injections work?
A smooth injectable gel is injected below the skin’s surface to “fill-in” wrinkles, “plump-up” small areas such as the lips, and “re-volumise” large areas like the cheeks.
Dermal fillers and anti-wrinkle injections are often referred to as a “liquid facelift.”
With fillers, dermal volumisers provide subtle yet noticeable effects to plump up your cheeks or other areas of the face that have lost volume due to ageing or weight changes.
What happens at your dermal filler appointment?
As with our other non-surgical treatments dermal filler treatment can be safely and comfortably performed in the relaxing environment of our treatment room.
The usual procedure for patients looking to lift and liven their face with dermal fillers is:
- You’ll speak with the doctor or nurse about your background and medical history at your initial consultation
- A treatment plan will be devised, which sets out how we can use dermal fillers (possibly in conjunction with other techniques and tools) to create the face that you want
- The dermal filler product we use contains a local anaesthetic that makes the injection comfortable.
- The area to be injected is marked out
- The dermal fillers are injected, and we apply cold packs immediately afterwards.
- Mineral make-up completes the look and allows you to resume your daily activity.
The procedure takes about 30-60 minutes in total, depending on the size of the area to be treated.
What is the normal recovery downtime after Dermal Injections?
You’ll be able to return to work and wear makeup immediately afterwards, although we recommend you don’t commit yourself to any activities after your first-ever appointment.
Generally, any side effects, such as minor redness and swelling, resolve after 24 hours.
What should I expect after an injectables treatment?
Much of the difference you see after your initial dermal filler injection will be due to swelling; you should see the ‘real’ results after about 3 days.
Are Dermal Fillers painful?
Some patients prefer local anaesthesia to numb the area being injected to maximise comfort during treatment.
There can be a slight sting with the injection however the vast majority of patients find treatment very comfortable.
The small about of pain you feel can be significantly reduced by finding an injector with a gentle touch and choosing an injector that how knows to avoid the many facial nerves.
How long do Dermal Filler Injections last?
Results from dermal fillers varies depending on the filler, the techniques used and the facial area that is being injected. High muscle use areas (like your mouth edges) generally last around six to 12 months and in low muscle areas (like your cheeks or tear troughs) can last 18 to 24 months. The more treatments you have, the longer the results will last.
Are there any reasons I should not have Dermal Filler Injections?
Our team will not perform this treatment on pregnant or nursing mothers or if you have diseased skin in the area being filled.
What are the possible side effects of Dermal Fillers?
Dermal fillers have been used for many years, and clinical trials have shown that it is well tolerated. All treatments carry the potential of unwanted effects and we generally recommend and use non-permanent fillers which generally last between 4-18 months. There may be some mild redness, swelling and discomfort after treatment. Uncommonly, there can be lumpiness and other cosmetic concerns. Infections and other complications are rare.
Who is best to perform Facial Injectables?
You can have injectables done by a cosmetic nurse or a plastic surgeon. Experience with Aesthetics and Facial Anatomy obviously counts. Please avoid using any new or undertrained injectors.
About Dr Mark Gittos FRACS (Plast) – New Zealand Plastic Surgeon
Practice locations in Herne Bay Auckland, Northland and Bay of Plenty – Kerikeri, Whangarei, New Plymouth & Tauranga
Dr Mark Gittos is a leading Specialist Plastic Surgeon and operates a practice in Herne Bay, Auckland and in the UK. The practice focuses on both surgical and non-surgical procedures, each designed to help restore, improve or change a physical characteristic or problem. The first step in every case is to talk through your personal requirements and explore all the options, before deciding on the most effective solution.
Dr Mark Gittos offers high quality, natural-looking cosmetic surgery results and is highly experienced in Breast, Body and Face Surgery having performed over 4000 Surgeries in the last 26 years. With worldwide expertise Dr Gittos is an expert in breast, face and body surgery for men & women.
Naturally, before any treatment is begun, we will explain clearly the advantages and risk factors; so that you have the information you need to make an informed decision that is best for you. Visit the practice to find out more.
Please NOTE: Dr Gittos only performs surgery on non-smoker patients with a BMI less than 30. To check your BMI please visit the NZ Heart Foundation website. For help giving up smoking before surgery visit the Smoke Free website
Do your Research
- Read the Website and Blogs relevant to your procedure
- Browse our Frequently Asked Questions including how to choose a Surgeon for your procedure
- Download and read the FREE Guides to Surgery
What to Bring to your Plastic Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
- Dress in simple clothes as you may need to undress for examination
- Bring your medical referral and any relevant medical documents or test results
Book your Initial Surgery Consultation
- A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral
- Email us or Call on 09 529 5352 to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment.
- Book a consultation with Dr Gittos by paying the Consultation Fee – $325 incl GST
Traveling for Surgery? – Consider post-surgery luxury recovery in a Hotel with LuxeCare
Please contact us to arrange to book a consultation with our Specialist Plastic Surgeon or to speak with our Patient Care Advisor.