Breast Implant Removal – Explantation in Auckland New Zealand by Dr Mark Gittos Plastic Surgeon
What is Breast Implant Removal – Enbloc Surgery?
Breast Implant Removal is a procedure available to patients who are unhappy with the appearance of their current breast implants, or have experienced a problem with their implants such as a rupture, capsular contracture (when breast implants become misshapen or firm) or other complications.
The reasons for Revision Breast Surgery can vary. You may find that you no longer feel your breast implants fit your physique or lifestyle. You may be concerned about the impact your Breast Implants will have on your ability to breastfeed, or in more serious cases, a problem may have developed with your breast implants, such as your breast implant ‘bottoming out’, or a ruptured/deflated breast implant. You may also be concerned about BII or risks of textured implants and BIA-ALCL.
You may choose to remove your Breast Implants due to Rupturing, Rippling, Capsular Contracture, Double Bubble, or simply because you no longer want them or like the look or size of your breast enhancement.
Watch Dr Gittos explain Breast Implant Removal Surgery
What are the Benefits of a Breast Implant Removal Procedure?
There are times when people who get Breast Implant Surgery aren’t happy with their results in the medium to longer term.
Breast Implant Removal Surgery can help with:
- Breast Implant Complications like implant malposition, Double Bubble, Symmastia, etc
- Life events and other lifestyle changes that make you want a change in your bra cup size
- Concerns about breastfeeding with implants
- Continually Feeling Ill, having Allergies or unusual symptoms relating to the implant or BII
- Simply feeling your breast implants no longer suit your body shape or lifestyle
Download Dr Mark Gittos’ Guide to Cosmetic Breast Surgery
Am I a Good Candidate for Breast Implant Removal?
Before deciding on your Surgeon or proceeding with Surgery, there are a few important things you should consider:
- Is my preferred Surgeon a highly skilled, FRACS qualified & experienced Specialist Plastic Surgeon?
- Am I in good health and do I maintain a nutritionally healthy lifestyle?
- Is my procedure going to be performed in a fully accredited Private Hospital?
- Am I choosing to have surgery for the right reasons and at the right time?
- Do I have realistic expectations about what Breast Implant Removal surgery can actually achieve?
- Am I willing and able to undergo an initial recovery period of approximately 3-4 weeks?
Breast Implant Removal Before and After Photos
- See real patient photos of Breast Implant Removal Surgery performed by our Specialist Plastic Surgeon when you visit our Auckland Clinic
What Can I Expect During Surgery?
There are a number of surgical options based on the extent and cause of the problem when it comes to the surgical approach and process for Breast Implant Removal Surgery.
Your Specialist Plastic Surgeon will advise a surgical approach that aims to solve your individual symptoms or breast appearance problems. Please keep in mind there is variability in surgical approaches and outcomes that may vary slightly.
Medications and General Anaesthesia are there for your comfort during Breast Implant Removal surgery.
This procedure involves removing breast implants entirely and NOT replacing them with new implants. A Breast Lift or Surgical Revision may be performed at the same time to achieve a smaller but natural & even look to compensate for sagging and drooping skin after your implants are removed – but options and outcomes often depend on the amount of existing glandular tissue and elasticity of your skin. Fat Transfer may also be an option.
Complications & Risks of Breast Implant Surgery
Breast Implant Removal surgery incurs risks and complications like all invasive surgery. Your Surgeon will make you aware of potential complications during your consultation. This includes general anaesthesia, bleeding (Haematoma), infection, wound healing, deep vein thrombosis, scarring and numbness. Always stay informed and healthy, avoid smoking before or after your procedure and understand your risks.
Recovery from Breast Implant Removal
The length of your recovery period will depend on your procedure and other health & lifestyle factors. Recovery times can vary from person to person.
The general rule, however, is that you should allow 4-6 weeks for initial recovery following your Breast Implant Removal surgery. Scar maturation often takes longer, up to a year or more. Be sure you wear your garment as instructed and take advantage of the aftercare we provide to assist you during your healing and recovery.
You will need to work with your Surgeon to allow for adequate and proper healing time. It is important to consult with your Surgeon before returning to daily activities such as driving, lifting and exercise. Wear your post-operative compression garments for the designated time frames.
The Clinic will advise you about wearing post-op garments. Good results depend on a collaborative approach and a healthy lifestyle. Follow instructions given to you by your Surgeon and attend all post-operative appointments.
Costs – How much is Breast Implant Removal in New Zealand?
All Surgery is customised and your Surgeon will give you a price for surgery depending on the type of procedure you are having, the hospital you attend and the length of your stay.
After your initial consultation, you will be given a detailed pricing quote for Breast Implant Removal . This will include a Surgeon’s fee, Anesthetist fee, Surgical Assistant fee (if req) and the hospital fees.
We also provide information on Health Insurance, Finance and payment plans as well as different methods of payment.
How to find a Breast Surgeon in Auckland
For many women & men in New Zealand, having Breast Surgery is a life-changing experience. There are many qualified plastic surgeons, but it is always best to find one who is experienced in your chosen procedure. Always look for an experienced surgeon that you feel comfortable with and get a second opinion.
Why Choose Dr Mark Gittos – Auckland Plastic Surgeon?
Dr Gittos has performed over 4000 Breast Surgeries.
With a wealth of experience and training, Dr Gittos is dedicated to best-practice patient care and education, customising Surgery for each and every patient to best meet their needs and desired surgical outcomes.
He has a current FRACS membership and significant breast surgery experience.
About Dr Mark Gittos FRACS (Plast) – New Zealand Plastic Surgeon
Practice locations in Herne Bay Auckland, Northland and Bay of Plenty – Kerikeri, Whangarei, New Plymouth & Tauranga
Dr Mark Gittos is a leading Specialist Plastic Surgeon and operates a practice in Herne Bay, Auckland and in the UK. The practice focuses on both surgical and non-surgical procedures, each designed to help restore, improve or change a physical characteristic or problem. The first step in every case is to talk through your personal requirements and explore all the options, before deciding on the most effective solution.
Dr Mark Gittos offers high quality, natural-looking cosmetic surgery results and is highly experienced in Breast, Body and Face Surgery having performed over 4000 Surgeries in the last 26 years. With worldwide expertise Dr Gittos is an expert in breast, face and body surgery for men & women.
Naturally, before any treatment is begun, we will explain clearly the advantages and risk factors; so that you have the information you need to make an informed decision that is best for you. Visit the practice to find out more.
Please NOTE: Dr Gittos only performs surgery on non-smoker patients with a BMI less than 30. To check your BMI please visit the NZ Heart Foundation website. For help giving up smoking before surgery visit the Smoke Free website
Do your Research
- Read the Website and Blogs relevant to your procedure
- Browse our Frequently Asked Questions including how to choose a Surgeon for your procedure
- Download and read the FREE Guides to Surgery
What to Bring to your Plastic Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
- Dress in simple clothes as you may need to undress for examination
- Bring your medical referral and any relevant medical documents or test results
Book your Initial Surgery Consultation
- A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral
- Email us or Call on 09 529 5352 to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment.
- Book a consultation with Dr Gittos by paying the Consultation Fee – $350 incl GST
Traveling for Surgery? – Consider post-surgery luxury recovery in a Hotel with LuxeCare
Please contact us to arrange to book a consultation with our Specialist Plastic Surgeon or to speak with our Patient Care Advisor.