Neck Lift Surgery by Dr Gittos in Auckland New Zealand
- Is your neckline losing definition?
- Does it blend into your chin at an angle?
- Do you miss a firmer jawline and want less sagging neck?
A Neck Lift or necklift surgery is usually part of a facelift. However, a neck lift is an ideal procedure for some patients where your main concern is the looseness of neck skin. Necklift surgery is designed to restore the youthful definition of your jawline and enhance your neck contour. In this way, Dr Gittos can effectively correct the early signs of ageing and gravity.
The key benefit of a neck surgery is to restore your self-esteem and confidence. Dr Mark Gittos Plastic Surgeon is an experienced facial plastic surgeon and face & neck lift expert and can help you on your patient journey.
An ageing neck loses definition as skin becomes lax, droopy and saggy from lost of elasticity with age. The jowls and jawline lose definition over time.
What is Neck Lift Surgery?
Neck Lift Surgery, platysmaplasty, is a surgical procedure that involves lifting and tightening the skin of the neck to achieve the desired firmness and shape. Neck Lift Surgery results in a smoother and more harmonious look by highlighting its contours.
The neck is one of the first regions to show the first significant aging signs and is often, due to its visibility, the cause of patient dissatisfaction. Changes in the neck most often involve a combination of fat deposits, excess skin folds, and muscle relaxation (platysma). The skin of the neck becomes relaxed, wrinkled, dry, and loses elasticity.
The skin of the neck suffers from the same external influences as the skin of the face. Unfortunately, much less attention is paid to the neck area, which is why most women’s neck skin is in worse condition than facial skin. That is why Neck Lift is often combined with a Facelift and other rejuvenation techniques and procedures.
Dr Gittos can achieve a natural appearance of the face without visible scars. You wll benefit from looking younger, feel better, and the surgery results can last up to 10 years.
Am I a good candidate for Neck Lift?
Since the aging process manifests on each of us individually, the age optimal for performing a Neck Lift varies. However, the period that is considered suitable for performing this procedure in most people is between 40 and 60 years of age.
Neck Lift Surgery is performed in patients who experience signs of aging on their neck such as:
- Saggy skin excess
- Fat deposits
- Unnatural contours
- Thicker neck
- Prominent neck bands
- The double chin
- A ‘chook’ neck (wobbly skin hanging down beneath the chin and jawline)
If you dislike looking at photos of yourself especially from the side, feel less attractive because of the appearance of your neck, and suffer from reduced self-confidence, you may be a good candidate for Neck Lift Surgery.
Other neck solutions for younger patients may be fat dissolving injections or Neck Liposuction – please consult Dr Gittos to find out.
Benefits of Neck Lift Surgery
The goal of the Neck Lift Surgery is to achieve a rejuvenated appearance of your neck. Most patients look younger after surgery and feel happier about their side-view profile look.
A more defined jawline and neck area result with an increase in self-confidence and makes any patient feel good about themselves.
Neck Lift can take years off your neck appearance. However, it is important to emphasize that Neck Lift doesn’t stop aging, so the results are not permanent.
Neck Lift Before and After Photos
Visit the clinic to see the real patient photo gallery of Before and After Neck Lift Surgery photographs representing typical results our patients get. Results depend on individual patient circumstances and can vary significantly.
Neck Lift Surgical Procedure
Neck Lift Surgery can be performed under local or general anesthesia and consists of tightening the relaxed platysma muscle and removing excess skin. Liposuction of the neck can also be an integral part of the procedure and if necessary it would be the first step of the procedure.
The duration of the surgery can range from one hour to as much as five, depending on the extent and specific needs of each patient. A full Neck Lift surgery performed under general anaesthetic can take between one and two hours. It will probably involve an overnight stay in hospital.
Less involved procedures, such as a Silhouette Neck Lift can usually be performed using local anaesthetic as an outpatient treatment.
Incisions will be carefully placed within the natural creases of the neck skin, behind the ears and under the hairline, and so are pretty well hidden. The skin is connected and sutured in the area behind the ear or under the chin, which reduces the visibility of the incision. In the case where the skin of the neck is extremely loose, droopy or relaxed, the surgical cuts are extended 2 to 4 cm along the edge of the hairline, where the incision remains hidden.
Neck Lift is often performed in combination with Face Lifting and other facial rejuvenation procedures, so the appropriate surgical method will be discussed during the first consultation.
Recovery after Neck Surgery
The incisions will heal within about 10 days. At the conclusion of surgery we fit a facial support garment. This helps to alleviate swelling and reduce movement. For the first 24 hours after the Neck Lift Surgery, it is important to wear th compressive, elastic bandage for your neck. Also, it is recommendable to sleep with your head and shoulders elevated for at least 7 days after the Neck Lift Surgery. Many patients develop swelling during this period, which gradually recedes during in the following weeks. Some light bruising may also occur.
You should keep your support on all the time for the first week of recovery. Neck Lift is NOT a painful surgical procedure, but a mild feeling of discomfort is common. Dr Gittos will prescribe appropriate medication to manage pain if needed. Naturally there will be some discomfort for the first few days and your neck will probably feel a bit ‘tight’ for around 4 weeks. You can return to normal levels of activity after two weeks, but should avoid really strenuous activity and sport for six weeks.
The sutures are removed on the seventh day after the operation, but you should expect to take 2 to 3 weeks away from work or normal activities as you heal. Exercising and more demanding physical activities should be avoided for another 4-6 weeks.
Complications and Risks of Neck Lift
Due to possible complications, which include bleeding and skin infections, it is necessary to follow Dr Gittos’ instructions closely and attend regular check-ups.
Complications and Risks are usually temporary. If swelling, bruising and bruising occur, they subside after a week or two. Fortunately, if the procedure is performed by a skilled Specialist Plastic Surgeon, the procedure and recovery are safe and comfortable.
However, like every other surgical procedure, Neck Lift Surgery also comes with certain risks and possible complications:
- Noticeable scarring or keloids
- Nerve damage
- Bad reaction to anesthetics
- Severe bruising
- Unsatisfactory results
Your Neck Lift Journey
1. Pre-op consultation
- Before the surgery, you will have a conversation with your surgeon about the expectations, goals, risks, and complications of the Surgery.
- Also, you will undergo a thorough medical health check-up to minimize the risks and improve the results. Dr Gittos will explain possible complications, inform you about preoperative preparation, what tests and laboratory findings are needed, what to avoid before surgery, and how to behave after
2. Necklift Surgery
- Most often, an incision is made under the chin and/or behind the ears to gain access to the platysma muscle responsible for the unwanted neck appearance.
- The operation is possible under local or general anesthesia.
- Postoperatively, you will report for regular check-ups in agreement with Dr Gittos.
- You will have to follow post-surgery instructions carefully to improve the results and reduce recovery time. Refraining from pools, baths, strenuous exercise, alcohol, and smoking can improve your recovery and results.
- Dr Gittos will compare and analyze the results of the surgery. Neck Lift surgery results can last up to ten years.
Neck Lift Surgery Cost & Fees in NZ
Every patient is different, therefore the prices vary. You will be given a price quote after your first consultation.
Your Surgery quote from Dr Gittos will include your surgeon’s fee, anesthetist’s fee, perhaps a surgical assistant fee, and the hospital/theatre fees.
Visit the pricing page for more information about pricing, payment plans and funding your surgery.
Further Reading – Medical References
- Neck Surgery – Mayo Clinic
- Neck Lift | American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Neck Lift & Neck Liposuction Guide | ABCS
- Is a Neck Lift Right for You? – Penn Cosmetics – Penn Medicine
- Neck Lift (Lower Rhytidectomy) – Procedure Overview
FAQ about Neck Lift Surgery
Are the incision scars easily noticeable?
- Dr Gittos makes the incisions in an area where they are hardly noticeable. As time goes and you heal, your scars gradually fade away. Silicon Gel may help.
How long will I have to take pain medications after Surgery?
- Most patients take pain medications for 24-48 hours to manage the pain.
Can makeup disguise scarring?
- Yes, light makeup can successfully hide the scarring in the first weeks after the surgery.
How painful is the suture removal? Does it hurt?
- The incision line will be naturally numb for a while so the suture removal should be nearly painless.
Do patients in their 20s and 30’s undergo a Full Neck Lift Surgery?
- It is recommended that younger patients to try out non-surgical neck tightening methods before considering Neck Lift.
Finding a Neck Lift Surgeon in New Zealand
For many patients in New Zealand, having Neck Lift is a life-changing experience. There are many qualified plastic surgeons, but it is always best to find one who is experienced in aesthetic face and neck procedures. Have a look at their past patient results and read reviews to find out how they treat their patients. Always Look for an experienced surgeon that you feel comfortable with and always get a second opinion.
Why Choose Dr Gittos for a Neck lift?
Dr Gittos has significant neck lift surgery experience and a current FRACS membership.
About Dr Mark Gittos FRACS (Plast) – New Zealand Plastic Surgeon
Practice locations in Auckland, Northland and Bay of Plenty – Remuera, Kerikeri, Whangarei, New Plymouth & Tauranga
Dr Mark Gittos offers high quality, natural-looking cosmetic surgery results and is highly experienced in Breast, Body and Face Surgery having performed over 4000 Surgeries in the last 26 years. With world-wide expertise Dr Gittos is an expert in breast, face and body surgery for men & women.
Dr Mark Gittos is a leading Specialist Plastic Surgeon and operates a practice in Remuera, Auckland and in the UK. The practice focuses on both surgical and non-surgical procedures, each designed to help restore, improve or change a physical characteristic or problem. The first step in every case is to talk through your personal requirements and explore all the options, before deciding on the most effective solution.
Naturally, before any treatment is begun, we will explain clearly the advantages and risk factors; so that you have the information you need to make an informed decision that is best for you. Visit the practice to find out more.
Do your Research
- Read the Website and Blogs relevant to your procedure
- Browse our Frequently Asked Questions including how to choose a Surgeon for your procedure
- Download the Guides to Surgery
What to Bring to your Plastic Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
- Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
Book your Initial Surgery Consultation
- A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral
- Email us or Call on 09 529 5352 to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment.
- Book a consultation with your Surgeon by paying the Consultation Fee ($295+GST)
Please contact us to arrange to book a consultation with our Specialist Plastic Surgeon or to speak with our Patient Care Advisor.