Scar Revision by top Auckland Plastic Surgeon
Whether due to injury or surgery, skin tends to heal with a scar. In some instances “over scarring” may occur causing Keloid or Hypertrophic Scars.
The extent of scarring varies on the basis of genetics, skin type and anatomical location-for example incisions in the sternum and deltoid areas often result in prominent scars.
The good news is that in many cases unacceptable scars (and tattoos) can be significantly improved by means of plastic surgical techniques, laser therapy, steroid injections, massage and silicone gel pad pressure therapy.
Where appropriate scars may be hidden by hair follicle transplantation and cosmetic camouflage make up.
Scar Revision Procedure
Your surgeon will carefully examine and assess your scar, before deciding with you what options meet your requirements.
If the simple treatments such as gels, pressure garments or massage do not seem to be an effective choice, we may use special Plastic Surgical Techniques known as ‘W’ or ‘Z’-plasties operations to solve the problem. ‘W’ and ‘Z’ plasties are surgical flaps used to minimise visibility, reduce tension and realign scars.
The use of normal aesthetic junctions to hide scars-such as the groove behind the ear-is another time honoured Plastic Surgical technique.
Laser treatment may also be effective in de-pigmenting red scars or in breaking down some blue-black tattoos.
Recovery After Scar Revision
After surgery we will tape the incision for six weeks to stop scar stretching and to apply pressure. Following his phase we recommend scar massage for another three months and avoidance of sun exposure for the same length of time.
About Our Top Auckland Plastic Surgeon – Dr Mark Gittos FRACS (Plast)
Dr Mark Gittos offers high quality, natural-looking cosmetic surgery results and is highly experienced in Breast, Body and Face Surgery having performed over 4000 Surgeries. With world-wide expertise Dr Gittos is an expert in breast, face and body surgery for men & women.
NEXT STEPS for Scar Revision Surgery
Book your Initial Surgery Consultation
- Email us or Call on 09 529 5352 to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment.
- A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral
- Book a consultation with your Surgeon by paying the Consultation Fee ($200-$300)
What to Bring to your Plastic Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
- Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
- Organise a phone call with Patient Care Advisor (FREE)
- Organise an Online or Skype call consultation with a Surgeon
- Speak with a past patient that has had the procedure – contact us
Browse our Frequently Asked Questions including how to choose a Surgeon for your procedure
Please contact us using this form to arrange to book a consultation with our Specialist Plastic Surgeon or to speak with our Patient Care Advisor.