Scar Revision by Dr Mark Gittos top NZ Plastic Surgeon
Whether due to injury or surgery, skin tends to heal with a scar. In some instances “over scarring” may occur causing Keloid or Hypertrophic Scars. The extent of scarring varies on the basis of genetics, skin type and anatomical location-for example incisions in the sternum and deltoid areas often result in prominent scars.
The good news is that in many cases unacceptable scars (and tattoos) can be significantly improved by means of plastic surgical techniques, laser therapy, steroid injections, massage and silicone gel pad pressure therapy.
Where appropriate scars may be hidden by hair follicle transplantation and cosmetic camouflage makeup.
The Scar Revision Procedure
Dr Gittos will carefully examine and assess your scar, before deciding with you what options meet your requirements.
If the simple treatments such as gels, pressure garments or massage do not seem to be an effective choice, we may use special Plastic Surgical Techniques known as ‘W’ or ‘Z’-plasties operations to solve the problem. ‘W’ and ‘Z’ plasties are surgical flaps used to minimise visibility, reduce tension and realign scars.
The use of normal aesthetic junctions to hide scars-such as the groove behind the ear-is another classic Plastic Surgical technique.
Laser treatments may also be effective in de-pigmenting red scars or in breaking down some blue-black tattoos.
Recovery After Scar Revision
After surgery we will tape the incision for six weeks to stop scar stretching and to apply pressure. Following his phase we recommend scar massage for another three months and avoidance of sun exposure for the same length of time.
Meet Our Top Skin Procedures & Hand Surgeon – Dr Mark Gittos Plastic Surgeon FRACS(Plast)
Dr Mark Gittos offers high quality, natural-looking cosmetic & reconstructive surgery results and is highly experienced Surgeon having performed over 4000 complex Surgeries over 26 years.
NEXT STEPS for Scar Revision
Do your Research
- Read the Website and Blogs relevant to your procedure
- Browse our Frequently Asked Questions including how to choose a Surgeon for your procedure
- Download the Guides to Surgery
What to Bring to your Plastic Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
- Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
Book your Initial Surgery Consultation
- A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral
- Email us or Call on 09 529 5352 to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment.
- Book a consultation with your Surgeon by paying the Consultation Fee ($260+GST)
Please contact us to arrange to book a consultation with our Specialist Plastic Surgeon or to speak with our Patient Care Advisor.