Do I Need Weight Loss Surgery or Bariatric Surgery?
Weight loss surgery also called bariatric surgery, is used as a last resort to treat people who are significantly obese.
For people who meet certain criteria, weight loss surgery has proved to be effective in significantly and quickly reducing excess body fat. Learn more about weight loss surgery in Auckland, NZ and about Dr Gittos, a Plastic Surgeon who helps patients with body contouring and excess skin removal after having weight loss surgery.
Bariatric Surgery: What Is Its Main Purpose?
Bariatric surgery, the formal term for various types of Weight Loss Surgery including Lap Band, Gastric Sleeve and Gastric Bypass, is usually performed for health reasons, rather than cosmetic ones.
How Do I Know If I’m a Good Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?
A consultation will help you plan your options and to discover what the best options for your weight loss are.
The two most widely used types of weight loss surgery are:
- gastric band, where a band is used to reduce the size of the stomach so a smaller amount of food is required to make you feel full
- gastric bypass, where your digestive system is re-routed past most of your stomach so you digest less food and it takes much less food to make you feel full
- gastric balloon, where an adjustable sterile balloon is inserted to help fill up the stomach area so you can consume and digest less food and feel fuller
How Successful Is Bariatric Surgery?
It’s important to factor in your lifestyle in terms of nutritional choices, exercise and mental health after any weight loss surgery.
You will need to stick to a rigorous and lifelong plan afterwards to avoid putting weight back on or long-term complications. This plan will include a carefully controlled nutrition plan, post-weight loss surgery diet and regular exercise.
As long as a person is willing and able to stick to their agreed plan afterwards, surgery can effectively reduce their weight and treat conditions associated with obesity, such as diabetes. Recent research carried out in America found that on average people with a gastric band will lose around half their excess body weight and people with a gastric bypass will lose around two-thirds of their excess body weight.
If you have weight gain issues then why not discuss solutions with us today?
What Other Surgery Will I Need AFTER Losing Weight?
The top 3 procedures after significant weight changes after a gastric sleeve, gastric bypass or lap-band or gastric balloon include:
- Abdominoplasty or Belt Lipectomy
- Breast Reduction and/or Breast Lift Surgery
- Arm Reduction (Brachioplasty)
Download Dr Mark Gittos’ Guide to Liposuction & Body Contouring
Excess Skin Removal Surgery after Considerable Weight Loss
When undergoing bariatric surgery, the weight loss often occurs suddenly and the patient drops a considerable amount of weight. This is the reason why excess skin is a common issue for patients getting weight loss surgery. The excess skin can be present at the level of the tummy, thighs, arms, but also face and neck, and it could make the patient look older than he is. Excess skin reduction surgery is a popular choice for patients undergoing weight loss surgery. This surgery can help you get the body you have always wanted and compliment the success of your weight loss journey.
About Dr Mark Gittos FRACS (Plast) – New Zealand Plastic Surgeon
Practice locations in Herne Bay Auckland, Northland and Bay of Plenty – Kerikeri, Whangarei, New Plymouth & Tauranga
Dr Mark Gittos is a leading Specialist Plastic Surgeon and operates a practice in Herne Bay, Auckland and in the UK. The practice focuses on both surgical and non-surgical procedures, each designed to help restore, improve or change a physical characteristic or problem. The first step in every case is to talk through your personal requirements and explore all the options, before deciding on the most effective solution.
Dr Mark Gittos offers high quality, natural-looking cosmetic surgery results and is highly experienced in Breast, Body and Face Surgery having performed over 4000 Surgeries in the last 26 years. With worldwide expertise Dr Gittos is an expert in breast, face and body surgery for men & women.
Naturally, before any treatment is begun, we will explain clearly the advantages and risk factors; so that you have the information you need to make an informed decision that is best for you. Visit the practice to find out more.
Please NOTE: Dr Gittos only performs surgery on non-smoker patients with a BMI less than 30. To check your BMI please visit the NZ Heart Foundation website. For help giving up smoking before surgery visit the Smoke Free website
Do your Research
- Read the Website and Blogs relevant to your procedure
- Browse our Frequently Asked Questions including how to choose a Surgeon for your procedure
- Download and read the FREE Guides to Surgery
What to Bring to your Plastic Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
- Dress in simple clothes as you may need to undress for examination
- Bring your medical referral and any relevant medical documents or test results
Book your Initial Surgery Consultation
- A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral
- Email us or Call on 09 529 5352 to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment.
- Book a consultation with Dr Gittos by paying the Consultation Fee – $350 incl GST
Traveling for Surgery? – Consider post-surgery luxury recovery in a Hotel with LuxeCare
Please contact us to arrange to book a consultation with our Specialist Plastic Surgeon or to speak with our Patient Care Advisor.