Male Eyelid Lift FAQs – Q & A with Dr Gittos
As you age, you may notice that your eyelids become puffier in the mornings and assume a saggier tired look during the day. The Male Eyelid Lift Procedure can lift your eyelids and give you a fresher, younger look. Dr Mark Gittos FRACS(Plast) offers the procedures of Upper Eyelid Lift for Men, Lower Eyelid Lift for Men and a combination of the two, for truly refreshing results.
Download Dr Mark Gittos’ Guide to Eyelid Lift Surgery – Blepharoplasty
Male Eyelid Lift FAQs – General Questions
What is blepharoplasty?
- Blepharoplasty is another name for eyelid lift procedures. It is a procedure that removes extra skin and fat tissue found under the eyelid to restore its shape and functionality.
What is male blepharoplasty?
- Male blepharoplasty is a blepharoplasty procedure done on an adult, male patient.
Are there different kinds of eyelid lift for men?
- Yes, there are different kinds of eyelift for men. There is the upper eyelid lift, the lower eyelid lift, the double eyelid lift and the Asian double eyelid surgery. Depending on the aim of any of these procedures, they can be either cosmetic procedures or functional procedures.
Why is there extra skin on my eyelid?
- Extra skin on your eyelid may appear due to a variety of reasons. Hereditary factors, exposure to the sun, weakened eye muscles, reduced collagen production and morning fluid accumulation can all give your eyes that puffy, swollen look and cause the eyelid skin to stretch over time.
Can eyelids be lifted without surgery?
- Not really. There are non-surgical procedures that can offer partial results by tightening or filling your eyelid or brow. There are dermal fillers that can decrease fine and deep lines around the eyes and lasers which can tighten the skin to an extent. To get fully lifted eyelids, improve your peripheral vision and look years younger, you are best to find a specialised plastic surgeon to perform a male eyelid lift on you.
How do I get rid of droopy male eyelids?
- The procedure of eyelid lift is the best and the fastest way to get rid of droopy male eyelids. It removes a thin belt of the skin and any fatty tissues that may be causing puffiness or sagging.
Can you fix hooded male eyes?
- Yes. A male eyelid lift can fix hooded male eyes. It improves your look, your peripheral vision and makes you look younger.
How do you get rid of a man’s puffy upper eyelids?
- Both surgical and non-surgical procedures can help you get rid of puffy upper eyelids for men. The surgical procedure of male eyelid lift offers the best results. If your puffiness is present only in the morning, this is a case of overnight fluid accumulation and may not be fully corrected using a blepharoplasty procedure.
Male Eyelid Lift FAQs about the benefits
Does upper male eyelid surgery make you look younger?
- Yes. Patients regularly report looking and feeling younger and happier after a blepharoplasty procedure.
Can Male Eyelid Lift make your eyes look bigger?
- The male eyelid lift procedure does not increase the size of one’s eyes. However, since the saggy upper lid is lifted, your eyes and eyelashes will be more prominent making it seem as if your eyes were bigger.
Can eyelid lift remove my dark circles?
- If the dark circles under your eyes are a result of shadowing due to under-eye bags, then yes, the eyelid lift can make dark circles less prominent. If your dark circles come from circulatory issues, then the eyelid lift can yield marginal results in removing the dark circles.
Male Eyelid Lift FAQs – Suitability for Surgery
At what age should you get a male eye lift?
- There are no rules as to when you can get an eyelid lift. Most patients will be older than 30, but there are exceptions here as well. In general, older age groups may be more prone to ask for a male eyelid lift, due to the eyelid skin laxity and a loss of a part of the peripheral vision. In younger patients, the main concern is the aesthetic aspect of the saggy eyelid skin.
Who is a good candidate for male blepharoplasty?
- If you:
- have under-eye bags,
- puffy eyes,
- look tired,
- look sad,
- have excess skin around your eyes,
- have a loss of a part of the peripheral vision due to saggy eyelids,
- have discomfort with the way your eyes look,
- have realistic expectations of the results that can be achieved through a male eyelid lift,
then you are the right candidate for an eyelid lift procedure for men.
How do you know if you need a male eyelid lift?
- If you have saggy or droopy male eyelids, reduced peripheral vision, discomfort due to the size or the volume of your eyelids, if you experience timidness or feel insecure because of your eyelids, then you should consult your seasoned plastic surgeon and discuss these concerns. In most cases, you will need to have eyelid surgery.
Can I get a male eyelid lift if I smoke?
- You should not smoke. Smoking restricts blood flow making any surgical procedure riskier and increasing the recovery time after any procedure. The same goes for the procedure of eyelid lift: restrictions in blood flow in these tissues can prolong the recovery time and significantly increase the chances for complications during the surgery. Do not smoke.
Can I get a male eyelid lift if I have wrinkles around my eyes?
- Yes. You can get a male blepharoplasty even if you have wrinkles around your eyes. Although the eyelid lift procedure does not necessarily aim at reducing wrinkles around your eyes, it can make them less apparent by the mild lifting effect. If wrinkles around your eyes are a source of concern for you, you may consult Dr Mark Gittos about any surgical or non-surgical procedures which may remove or reduce your wrinkles.
Eyelid Lift for Men FAQs about Preparing for Surgery
What should I do before an eyelid lift for men?
- You should make sure that all pre-op instructions by your specialised plastic surgeon are followed. These recommendations may include recommendations related to food and drinks intake, getting a sufficient amount of sleep, some special recommendations related to the medication you may be taking, etc. Show up before the arranged time and avoid any stressors during the pre-op time.
What will the Surgeon ask me before the eyelid lift?
- The doctor may ask you about your medical history or even your family’s medical history. The doctor may ask you questions about your lifestyle choices, diet, any habits you may have, including facial habits, as well as questions about any pre-existing, chronic conditions and medications you may be taking. A history of surgical procedures, especially plastic surgeries is very important, so make sure you discuss it in detail with your specialised plastic surgeon.
What do I need to bring to the surgery?
- You need to bring any paperwork, any lab results and reports by other doctors your seasoned plastic surgeon has asked you to bring in. A pair of sunglasses with a bigger, wider frame for extra protection, an ice pack or a cool pack may also be brought. You should be wearing loose, comfortable clothing, although you will be asked to change your clothes before the surgery. The loose clothing will be much easier to put on after the procedure.
Does somebody need to come with me to the eyelid lift surgery?
- Yes, there should be one person of trust accompanying you. After the eyelid lift procedure, you will not be able to drive for at least a few days, so you need someone to pick you up and take you home. Some patients choose to also have a friend or a family member stay with them for a while after the surgery, as help around the house.
Male Eyelid Lift FAQs about the Surgical Procedure
How long does an eyelid lift for men take?
- A male eyelid lift procedure takes around an hour to finish. Depending on the case, it may take longer. Dr Mark Gittos will be able to make a closer approximation of the eyelid lift duration once he has examined you.
Is male eyelid surgery painful?
- No. The procedure of eyelid lift is not painful. Eyelid lift for men is performed in either local anaesthesia or general anaesthesia, as advised by your specialised plastic surgeon and you will not be able to feel anything. Post-op, some discomfort may be felt, but not on a grand scale. Dr Mark Gittos will inform you of pain relievers which you should be taking post-op for at least a few days.
Do I need general anaesthesia or local anaesthesia for male blepharoplasty?
- Depending on your case and personal preferences, your Dr may suggest one or the other. In the majority of cases, a male eyelid lift is performed in local anaesthesia with intravenous sedation for your comfort.
Eyelid Lift for Men FAQs about Recovery
How long does it take to recover from male upper eyelid surgery?
- The recovery after an eyelid lift for men is gradual: after some three days, you can drive, after five you can watch a little bit of TV. After some two weeks, you can go back to work. After three weeks, the recovery is complete.
Does male eyelid surgery leave scars?
- As with any other surgical procedure, male eyelid surgery leaves scars. Your specialised plastic surgeon will make sure that the scars are positioned in such a way that they are not visible. Due to the nature of the incision itself, the scars are very thin and barely visible.
How long is recovery after male blepharoplasty?
- You can expect a full recovery in some three weeks after blepharoplasty.
How do you sleep after a male eyelid lift?
- You should sleep in an inclined position, on your back for the first few weeks after blepharoplasty.
Can I smoke after the eyelid lift?
- You should not smoke after the eyelid lift. Smoking even days after the eyelid lift procedure slows down the recovery time by restricting blood flow to the area. You should not smoke.
Can I drink after the eyelid lift?
- After your specialised plastic surgeon gives you a clearance to do so, you may drink after the eyelid lift procedure. In general, alcohol should be avoided after the eyelid lift surgery because alcohol widens the blood vessels and promotes bleeding from the site of the incision.
Can I work out after a male eyelid lift?
- You should avoid any strenuous activities for at least three weeks after your eyelid lift procedure or as otherwise indicated by your doctor.
Can I wash my hair after blepharoplasty?
- You can wash your hair some 5-7 days after the blepharoplasty procedure.
When can I see the results?
- You should be able to see the results of your blepharoplasty some three weeks after the procedure.
Can I watch TV or work at the computer after blepharoplasty?
- You should avoid TV, computers, laptops and even cellphone for at least 5 days after the procedure. Your doctor may recommend even longer avoidance of artificial light sources that are strenuous on the eyes.
Can I drive after blepharoplasty?
- You should not drive for at least three days after an eyelid lift.
Will my eyes feel tight after an eyelid lift?
- Yes, the feeling of tightness is normal for the first few days after an eyelid lift procedure and it will gradually fade away.
When can I get back to work after eyelid surgery?
- You should be able to go back to work two weeks after the procedure. If your work involves heavy lifting, you may want to stay away from work for at least three weeks.
When can I wear contact lenses after surgery?
- Do not wear contact lenses until the recovery is complete – some three weeks should be enough.
Will the scars be visible after an eyelid lift?
- No. The scars after an eyelid lift procedure are very thin and positioned in such a way that they cannot be seen.
Should I avoid the sun after an eyelid lift?
- Yes, you should avoid direct sunlight or any other strong sources of light for a week or two at least.
Can I wear SPF Sunscreen after eyelid lift?
- After your doctor has indicated that SPF is OK, you may wear it. In general, nothing should be applied to your eyes for at least two or three weeks post-op. Your surgeon may make an exception with topical pain relievers here.
Male Eyelid Lift FAQs about Longer-Term Results
How long does a male eyelid lift last?
- A male eyelid lift is expected to last around 10 years. This number can change as it depends on several factors: how well you take care of your skin, your age, lifestyle choices as well as the extent of the initial surgery.
Is male eyelid surgery permanent?
- The results of a male eyelid lift procedure are expected to last some 10 years. The extra, saggy tissues are permanently removed, but the sagginess may return after many years as the skin continues growing.
Does blepharoplasty last forever?
- Blepharoplasty is expected to last around 10 years. This period depends on several factors.
How can I make eyelid lift last longer?
- Good diet, avoidance of sunlight, wearing SPF and taking good care of your skin are good ways to make your eyelid lift for men last longer.
Can I have multiple blepharoplasties?
- Yes, you may have a revision blepharoplasty or even a repeated procedure if required.
Male Eyelid Lift FAQs about Risks and Concerns
What are the dangers of male eyelid surgery?
- As with any other cosmetic surgery procedure, there are some risks and complications involved. You may experience a degree of bleeding, numbness or loss of sensitivity in the skin of the eyelid. Some discomfort, mild pain, swelling and eye dryness are to be expected as well. In rare cases, infections can appear at the incision site. These may prolong your recovery time and can easily be avoided by choosing an experienced plastic surgeon and following aftercare advice.
Can something go wrong during eyelid lift?
- If you choose the right, certified, seasoned plastic surgeon, you can expect good results. Some complications may include eye dryness, swelling, irritated eyes, bleeding and a temporary loss of sensitivity around the incision.
Can I go blind from eyelid lift?
- Going blind after an eyelid lift procedure would demand serious complications during the surgery in an unsafe environment. The procedure of eyelid lift does not interfere with your eyeballs or the optical nerve, which are both crucial for sight.
Can my eyesight get worse after eyelid lift?
- The procedure does not involve any work on the retina or the eyeball, so there are no ways in which it could contribute to your eyesight getting worse.
Does blepharoplasty leave scars?
- Blepharoplasty leaves thin, barely visible scars. Patients, in general, do not need any scar-revision procedures.
Will scars be visible after blepharoplasty?
- No, scars are in general not visible post blepharoplasty procedure.
Eyelid Lift for Men Funding FAQs
Does health insurance pay for blepharoplasty?
- In general, insurance does not pay for cosmetic or aesthetic surgery. If your surgery is being done with a functional aim, your may get partial coverage, depending on your health fund.
Is it worth getting male eyelid surgery?
- Yes, patients report feeling better, younger and looking happier than before the surgery. Realself Patient Surveys indicate a high level of satisfaction with the surgery.
Can I get financing for blepharoplasty?
- Some financing companies may be able to offer you medical financing or payment plan for your male eyelid lift. Dr Mark Gittos deals with Nova Medical Finance which may be able to offer you medical financing and a medical payment plan.
Next Steps for a Male Eyelid Lift
If you feel that your eyelids are too saggy, increased in volume or size and that this impacts your life in any meaningful way, you should consider having the procedure of male blepharoplasty or male eyelid lift. Schedule a consultation with Dr Mark Gittos FRACS(Plast) and see how he can help you restore both the looks and the functionality of your eyelids to what they used to be. This experienced plastic surgeon can offer you the procedures of upper eyelid lift for men, lower eyelid lift for man and a combination of the two. Read more about Male Cosmetic Surgery Grows In Popularity.
About Dr Mark Gittos FRACS (Plast) – New Zealand Plastic Surgeon
Practice locations in Auckland, Northland and Bay of Plenty – Remuera, Kerikeri, Whangarei, New Plymouth & Tauranga
Dr Mark Gittos is a leading Specialist Plastic Surgeon and operates a practice in Remuera, Auckland and in the UK. The practice focuses on both surgical and non-surgical procedures, each designed to help restore, improve or change a physical characteristic or problem. The first step in every case is to talk through your personal requirements and explore all the options, before deciding on the most effective solution.
Dr Mark Gittos offers high quality, natural-looking cosmetic surgery results and is highly experienced in Breast, Body and Face Surgery having performed over 4000 Surgeries in the last 26 years. With worldwide expertise Dr Gittos is an expert in breast, face and body surgery for men & women.
Naturally, before any treatment is begun, we will explain clearly the advantages and risk factors; so that you have the information you need to make an informed decision that is best for you. Visit the practice to find out more.
Do your Research
- Read the Website and Blogs relevant to your procedure
- Browse our Frequently Asked Questions including how to choose a Surgeon for your procedure
- Download and read the FREE Guides to Surgery
What to Bring to your Plastic Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
- Dress in simple clothes as you may need to undress for examination
- Bring your medical referral and any relevant medical documents or test results
Book your Initial Surgery Consultation
- A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral
- Email us or Call on 09 529 5352 to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment.
- Book a consultation with Dr Gittos by paying the Consultation Fee – $295+GST
Please contact us to arrange to book a consultation with our Specialist Plastic Surgeon or to speak with our Patient Care Advisor.