Benefits of Abdominoplasty – How Can a Tummy Tuck Improve Your Life
Do you want to know the many Tummy Tuck benefits and whether it’s really worth it? – A tummy tuck or abdominoplasty is a procedure that removes excess skin and fat to produce a slimmer and more toned midsection. A ‘full tummy tuck’ also surgically tightens the abdominal muscles. This procedure is very popular amongst women after pregnancy and men and women after considerable weight loss. A Tummy Tuck has a lot of benefits to offer.
Dr Mark Gittos is a body contouring expert and Plastic Surgeon in New Zealand. He has helped hundreds of patients get rid of excess skin and fat tissue.
Download Dr Gittos’ Guide to Tummy Tuck Surgery in NZ
10 Benefits of the Tummy Tuck Surgery
Abdominoplasty is a complex plastic surgery procedure performed with the patient under general anaesthesia. The intervention aims to help you get a firmer and flatter tummy. The procedure is customised to fit the needs of the patient and there are different types of tummy tuck such as mini tummy tuck, extended tummy tuck, Fleur de Lis abdo, and others. Let’s have a look at some benefits that patients can enjoy after getting an abdominoplasty:
1. You’ll Look Better Physically – especially in lingerie or a swimsuit
A major motivation for undergoing a tummy tuck is the improvements to your appearance. Tummy tucks can remove some stretch marks, unsightly sagging skin, and stubborn excess fat, which can significantly improve your abdominal contours and body shape.
2. Your Clothes and Gym Gear Will Fit Better
A tummy tuck can significantly improve how clothing fits. You will soon discover that clothes that you have been avoiding to wear for years are actually now very flattering and compliment your body. You’ll be able to wear the clothes you like, including the latest fashions and can get rid of the baggy, oversized clothing you might have chosen before.
3. Improved Self Confidence and Self-Esteem
Because of the physical improvements in the aesthetics of the body that occur after a tummy tuck, many patients develop an improved sense of confidence and self-esteem. The new aspect of the body can help you be more positive, energetic and feel more attractive.
4. Better Core Strength And a Sculpted Tummy
After major weight fluctuations or pregnancy, your stomach muscles can become weak, distended, or detached. Flaccid stomach muscles don’t respond to diet or exercise and require additional help. During the tummy tuck surgery, Dr Gittos tightens your stretched-out muscles to improve abdominal tone and core strength.
Having tummy tuck surgery can improve body shape in more areas than just the abdomen. Tightening the abdomen also tightens the mons pubis – no more fat upper pubic area or FUPA. The surgery can also enhance the appearance of your breasts and buttocks. Additional liposuction can also help sculpt other areas of your body.
5. Improved Body Posture
When your abdominal muscles are tightened, your core becomes stronger. Tightened abdominal muscles provide better support for your spine, which allows you to sit and stand up straighter.
The removal of excess skin and fat also prevents the weight of your tummy from pulling you forward, thereby improving your posture.
6. Less Back Pain
As a tummy tuck tightens the core muscles and removes excess abdominal skin and fat, it allows the spine to align straight without pressure pulling it forward. Reduced forward pressure, straighter spine alignment, and increased core muscle strength can lead to a decrease in back pain.
7. You’ll Be Able to Exercise More Easily
Having excess abdominal fat and sagging skin can inhibit range of motion and weigh you down, making exercise difficult. With these removed and your core muscles tightened, many exercises become easier and more enjoyable.
8. You’ll Be More Motivated to Keep Weight Off
Research has revealed that bariatric patients who have surgery to remove excess skin are more likely to keep the weight off afterwards. The removal of abdominal fat also increases satiety by reducing the levels of appetite-affecting hormones. The tummy tuck effectively helps facilitate exercise, and provides more motivation to stay on course. Patients who maintain a healthy lifestyle after their tummy tuck can expect to enjoy their new shape for a very long time.
9. Better Bladder Control (reduced incontinence)
If you experience urinary incontinence (the urgent need to pee) you may gain improved bladder control after a tummy tuck. This is due to stronger core muscles.
10. Reduced Health Risks
Many longer-term health problems arise from excess fat and skin in the abdominal area. These problems include everything from diabetes and fungal infections to heart disease, liver disease, heart attacks, and more. Excess fat and skin put pressure on the internal organs, inhibiting healthy function.
Tummy tuck benefits also include improving your overall health and lowering the risk of any future medical problems.
Different Types of Tummy Tucks
- Full Tummy Tuck – removes an overhang of skin and repairs abdominal muscles – typically after pregnancy (The most popular Abdominoplasty)
- Mini Tummy Tuck – removes a pouch of skin usually after pregnancy or weight loss – When a ‘Skin Only’ repair is needed.
- Extended Tummy Tuck – removes a large overhang of excess skin with an incision from hip to hip or beyond – usually for significant weight loss patients
- Belt Lipectomy or 360 Abdo – the incision is made right around the abdomen and removes a large tyre of excess skin and fat – use for massive weight loss patients
- Fleur De Lis (FDL) or Vertical Tummy Tuck – the incision is made around the abdomen like a belt lipectomy with an additional vertical incision in the front to remove even more excess skin in massive weight loss patients
- Reverse Tummy Tuck or Reverse Abdominoplasty is where the incision is made under the breasts and excess skin is pulled upwards. Quite rarely performed but has been done typically in conjunction with a breast reduction or lift with acceptable results. The right patient selection is critical.
Is Tummy Tuck Surgery Really Worth It?
On Realself.com, the Online Patients Forum, nearly 4,000 patients have rated this surgery and 96% of them said it was “Worth It”.
Further Reading about Body Contouring Procedures
Medical References for Abdominoplasty
- Australian Study on Tummy Tuck Surgery easing back pain and incontinence (Alastair Taylor)
- Science Daily review of Australian Tummy Tuck Patient Study
- Tummy Tuck procedure page on Mayo Clinic site
About Dr Mark Gittos FRACS (Plast) – New Zealand Plastic Surgeon
Practice locations in Herne Bay Auckland, Northland and Bay of Plenty – Kerikeri, Whangarei, New Plymouth & Tauranga
Dr Mark Gittos is a leading Specialist Plastic Surgeon and operates a practice in Herne Bay, Auckland and in the UK. The practice focuses on both surgical and non-surgical procedures, each designed to help restore, improve or change a physical characteristic or problem. The first step in every case is to talk through your personal requirements and explore all the options, before deciding on the most effective solution.
Dr Mark Gittos offers high quality, natural-looking cosmetic surgery results and is highly experienced in Breast, Body and Face Surgery having performed over 4000 Surgeries in the last 26 years. With worldwide expertise Dr Gittos is an expert in breast, face and body surgery for men & women.
Naturally, before any treatment is begun, we will explain clearly the advantages and risk factors; so that you have the information you need to make an informed decision that is best for you. Visit the practice to find out more.
Please NOTE: Dr Gittos only performs surgery on non-smoker patients with a BMI less than 30. To check your BMI please visit the NZ Heart Foundation website. For help giving up smoking before surgery visit the Smoke Free website
Do your Research
- Read the Website and Blogs relevant to your procedure
- Browse our Frequently Asked Questions including how to choose a Surgeon for your procedure
- Download and read the FREE Guides to Surgery
What to Bring to your Plastic Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
- Dress in simple clothes as you may need to undress for examination
- Bring your medical referral and any relevant medical documents or test results
Book your Initial Surgery Consultation
- A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral
- Email us or Call on 09 529 5352 to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment.
- Book a consultation with Dr Gittos by paying the Consultation Fee – $325 incl GST
Traveling for Surgery? – Consider post-surgery luxury recovery in a Hotel with LuxeCare
Please contact us to arrange to book a consultation with our Specialist Plastic Surgeon or to speak with our Patient Care Advisor.